Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Stranger things...

Read all about it

The other night at November's City Council meeting I made history. In a rare moment when the council was deadlocked, I cast the deciding vote on a motion that granted Kwik Trip a Class A liquor license (see Mayor breaks tie). According to City Clerk/Treasurer Carmen Newman, who has served in that capacity since 2003, this was the first time the mayor has had to vote in all these years. And according to Third Ward Aldermen Bill Waite, whose municipal memory goes back even further, it's probably been longer than that.

One of the principles I live by is Solomon's sage council found in Scripture: “Let someone else praise you, and not your own mouth; an outsider, and not your own lips” (Proverbs 27:2, NIV). In other words, don't thump your chest and brag about the stuff you've done. Let other people talk it up. And if they don't, well, it must not be worth talking about. Having said that, why then dedicate a post to something that no doubt will be a forgotten footnote in Chetek history? Well, frankly, because it's funny.

There was always a six pack
of  PBR in the fridge
I grew up in a home of social drinkers. In the '60s and '70s every home seemed to have a liquor cabinet and when company was over, out poured the libations. I don't recall drunkenness (except when at my uncle's home where their priest always seemed a little too...er...enthusiastic for what the moment called for). My parents never locked the cabinet and I, for one, never was tempted to sample the beverages (I found out just last year at my mom's 80th birthday party that my sister did not share the same conviction). Now and again, I like to tell the story of one hot summer day when I was 12 and my dad was cutting the grass in our backyard. He was nursing a PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) and I asked him if I could have a sip. He said, “Sure,” and that one swig cured me forever it seems from beer. It tasted so foul I immediately spit it out. At 54 I'm not pulling anyone's leg when I say that is the last time I've ever sampled the stuff no matter what variety you can get it in today (I've had more than a few guys who have heard me tell that tale come up to me afterward and remark, 'If he had been drinking a Leinie's, you wouldn't be saying that...' or 'If he had been drinking a Budweiser...') I'll take their word for it but as rule I don't touch the stuff.

Here's lookin' at you, Bogie
As far as wine goes, in a given year I may imbibe at most three glasses total and always at home and always with my wife or on occasion with my parents. And as for hard liquor, well, I know enough to know that a Grasshopper is something you drink and Scotch-on-the-rocks or brandy was standard fare in all the film noire genre of the 1950s. I couldn't tell you if the stuff was good but Bogart and those guys drank gallons of the it.

People may be tempted to think this abstinence of mine arises out of some religious conviction I must have against drink in general. As far as I understand the Bible, drunkenness is what is condemned and the rest can pretty much be summed up in the phrase common in a lot of commercials these days: “Drink responsibly.” But reality is, it's never been a 'thing' with me. If you enjoy a Leinie's on a hot day (or, for that matter, a PBR), well and good. Brisk Raspberry Ice Tea is what I have to pace myself with – too much of it and I won't sleep well that night.


Which brings me back to November's City Council meeting. I did not see that moment coming. Chetek Kwik Trip manager Cindy Blaeser had appeared before the council back in the spring for the same reason and had been denied in an unanimous vote. I just figured it was a routine procedure that would result in the same end. Carl did a good job of summing up the conversation that occurred at that point of the meeting. First Ward Alderwoman Shirley Morley, whose ward Kwik Trip resides in, simply believes that we already have plenty of venues in town where people may purchase wines and liquors. Third Ward Alderman Bill Waite concurs with Shirley but is concerned that a large corporation like Kwik Trip can undercut a small local business like Keg 'n Kork. Their reasons were the same as last time. But when I announced, “All in favor,” all I heard was Bill's and Shirley's “yea” (note: it's a little confusing. We allowed a negative motion to go forward; so the 'yea' was, in fact, a 'nea' against issuing them a license). A roll call vote was necessary and during that we learned that both Second Ward Alderman Cliff Bronstad and Fourth Ward Alderman Mark Edwards were in favor of granting them the license. Suddenly we had a 2-2 tie and all eyes were on the mayor – the mayor who is a pastor, the mayor who spends a lot of time working with individuals whose lives have been ruined by the abuse of alcohol, the mayor who hardly touches the stuff himself. How would he vote?

Well, you already know how. I did vote in favor of granting them a Class A liquor license and here's why: They run a reputable business which regularly gives back to our community, that employs many local individuals and I am certain they will display their selection responsibly. Besides, as Cliff pointed out, if Gordy's can do it and Keg 'n Kork, why not them as well? It's only fair.

I slept fine that night. My mom and dad, who subscribe to the Alert, are going to have a chuckle when they see that headline when they get their edition later this week. I can almost hear my dad tongue-in-cheek say it now, “How is the pastor who voted to allow more booze in town?” Enjoy your laugh, Dad. I think it's funny, too.

My father-in-law, who passed away a month ago, would have been
It really is a book
disappointed to learn what his son-in-law, the mayor, has voted in favor for. He was death on the stuff and I can still remember years ago when he handed me a book titled “Sipping Saints” (I don't know why he did so other than maybe he thought I needed a reminder just in case). Sorry, Dad. But my guess is that the “fruit of the vine” of heaven is a finer selection than what you can get down here.


So like voice-over in the commercials goes, if you choose to pick up a six-pack or a bottle of wine tonight - be it at Kwik Trip or any other store in town where you may purchase it - remember to drink responsibly. Please.  

1 comment: