Tuesday, April 11, 2017

One year later (Looking back on my first year in office)

This past week I completed my rookie year as mayor. While technically I wasn't sworn in officially until about ten days later, my first year of my two-year term is now in the books and it has been educational, to say the least.

Aging but still able
During the past twelve months I've chaired twelve city council meetings, at least that many Plan Commission meetings and several public hearings as well as attended other regular gatherings of the various committees that the city has a stake in – The Center, the EMS service, Chetek Area Fire Department, Lone Oak to name several. I've toured CORE Products and ABC Truss and been given my own personal tour of the Chetek Area Museum, our Waste Water Treatment plant and the Barron County Waste-to-Energy Facility (a.k.a the “Barron County Incinerator”).
I've met with a local girl scout troop, had lunch with a bunch of movers and shakers from around the county when they visited our community in January and every month have sat down with a group of wonderful seniors at Atrium for coffee and cookies. I got to personally welcome Governor Scott Walker when he visited CWHS & MS last month and Rep. Romaine Quinn just a few weeks ago when he held a listening session at city hall. And I even had the honor to emcee the first-ever Chetek PTO Family Bingo night just last week.




This was pretty cool









Got to ride in the cool red car



Are we lucky to have him there
Along the way I've met a lot of people I didn't really know before but who share the same love I have for the town we all call home. Like Waste Water Treatment Plant Operator Mike McGinnis who likes to quip “the fence around the plant is to keep me in” but are we glad that he's on the job. Or Arthur and all the folks who serve at the Friday Soup and Salad Bar at The Center and who always make me feel so welcome when I join them for lunch. Then there's the city employees – Interim Chief of Police Ron Ambrozaitis and those who serve with him on the force, Public
It was his birthday
and he wouldn't sit down
Works Director Dan Knapp and the crew who even allow me to join them now and again for their 9 a.m. coffee break. Last, but certainly not least, the ladies at City Hall - Karen, Cassandra and especially City Clerk and Treasurer, Carmen Newman. When it comes to all things city ordinances and city practices she really is better than Google. I'm pretty sure every mayor who has ever served with her feels their job is easier because she's just an office away. I know I sure do.

I'm grateful for her help and expertise

Talk about a kick in the head
Someone asked me recently what I felt was my greatest accomplishment in the past year. Well, contrary to what some might chuckle at (for good reason) it was not casting the deciding vote in approving Kwik Trip for a Class A liquor license back in November (a minister approves the sale of more booze in town?) And come April 18 when the County Board meets and presumably approves the recommendation of the Highway Commission to increase the speed limit on Highway SS north from 25 mph to 35 mph it won't
Perhaps by May 1 this
sign will be replaced
be for that either. During the past year on account of budget constraints we lowered the police force by one full-time officer and bid former Chief of Police Mark Petersen farewell as he retired after 35 years of service to our city. We bought the former Jost Law Office that sits next to The Center in hopes to one day to raze that building and put in a much needed parking lot. But like so much of city business these things I've been part of but not necessarily responsible for. Honestly, the thing I am most proud about is that I have really tried to make city hall accessible to everybody who wants to know about what's going on “downtown.” For that, I'm grateful to The Chetek Alert who every month gives me free column space to share my thoughts and for
Look, Mom, I'm on the radio!
Amber Gonske at WJMC who every month puts me on the radio for one of her “Morning Discussion” slots. My on-line presence helps too via the mayor's Facebook page and my blog (The Mayor's Mind, or at least a piece of it) which sees a lot of activity. I've just tried to keep the discussion active and for the most part I think we have been successful at that and for that I'm grateful.

When people stop me on the street or in a restaurant they usually ask the same question, “How's the mayoring-thing going?” I appreciate the question because it reflects the real thing they want to know: “Is this job getting to you? Are you sick of the complaining yet? Will you run again?” I'm happy to tell them that by and large things are going well and I'm having a lot of fun serving this city in the ways I'm finding that I can as mayor. Some think at first that I'm being sarcastic. I'm not. I really am having a lot of fun and welcome the challenge to continue to serve this town that I love.


The father of one of my son's roommates in college is the City Administrator for Lindstrom, Minnesota. Right after the election last April when we were standing on the sidelines watching our sons compete in a track meet somewhere he gave me some good advice: “In towns like ours the mayor sets the tone and the City Administrator – or, in our case, the City Clerk – gets it done.” It's really true. So as I move into my second year my plan is to stay on point, keeping all of you informed the best I can, and hoping for the best for this city we all call home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment